


Here's what I have so far...I'm doing a business card, a brochure, and a coupon mailer.
Website
18 years ago
This is my thought and process blog for my GD2 class. Assignments, ideas, work in progress pieces, and final projects will be posted here throughout the Fall 2008 semester.
5 comments:
Gina—I don’t think the brown color in the background is working. There is too much of it, especially when it is just the solid color. The pattern over the brown is helping it not look as flat, but trying another color might help it even more. The titles on the brochure need better alignment and structure and they are too big. The coupons/ business cards look good with the white space and the gold colored bar at the top. I also think the pattern in the gold bar is working well. Maybe try making the brochure match the business cards and coupons by replacing the brown background with white and adding the gold bar across the top and using the dark brown for the body copy and titles (or maybe the red for titling). For the business card, I think the side with the logo looks good, but the other side looks too similar with the symbol in the same spot and I don’t think you need the gold bar on both sides. Maybe try differentiating the front and the back, so the side with the logo emphasizes the brand and the other side emphasizes the contact information (maybe even put the address on the other side with all of the other contact info so people can look at the contact information all together.)
Senshi Coffee:
I think that your most promising design here is the last one. I like the structure of the outlines that you are using here and the colors. Although, you might want to be careful of using too many different curved lines. Maybe stick with something similar to your logo curves rather than the bracket lines. But I like how you are interrupting that top bar with your logo. It looks balanced and not too heavy. You could easily incorporate this design into all pieces of your business system and have some variety in where you place different elements as well as the color of the background. Maybe one color is for corporate use and another for in the café.
The one where you have the whole background in a pattern could work for maybe a menu cover or a small label, but if you are going to be putting a lot of information on it, I think that it will get pretty busy with lots of text and other images.
Your top two designs seem to lack structure. The mushroom also looks kind-of gory. Not really like something I would want my coffee to be made of. The picture where there are multiples shows the mushroom in a more suitable manner, I think. Would these be posters? Or interior spreads of an informational packet? It’s great to give this information out and let the customers know what they are drinking and why, but I think using the graphic version of the mushroom is more appetizing. Also, the light text on the background might be problematic if your type gets any smaller or more condensed. Could you use this information in the same design as the last set?
The idea for some kind of informational brochure is a good choice for your company, because people will wonder what everything is about. When providing the information, the images of the mushrooms work well- they visually connect the product/ingredient directly to your logo. The thing to work on would be what information is included and in what context-talking about the mushroom is important, as well as explaining the name of the brand. Hypothetically, where would these brochures be-in a coffee shop where there might be posters explaining similar things, or in the mail? Could they function as a menu advertisement, showing the different products as well?
It's a good idea to do something to the shape of the card- the logo has an emphasis on shapes and forms, so it should be made tangible through the card. As far as the coupon mailer, I'm not sure if it works as well being the same shape as the card-for some reason it takes away from the special quality of the card. Maybe if they were different sizes and weights it would work... it's hard to tell on the screen.
Although I think brown works well in the identity system, I'm not sure if it is a better choice than the golden color for the logo. Could you do something in-between, like a cream color?
Remember– consistency within elements (type, pattern, color) and conveying a sense of richness balanced with the natural quality of this product. Put the emphasis on the product, tell the story through all elements used in your system and experiment with alternative substrates or other flourishes that enhance the elegance of your identity.
Hey Gina-
I was doing research for our GD III candy project and I found this chocolate that uses the reishi mushrooms! http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/organic_enchanted_mushroom_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars. Just thought I'd share that with you in case there's any way you could use it.
-Ellie
Post a Comment